My Signature Dish

Everyone has that one dish that they excel at. Mine is not a complicated recipe, handed down from generation to generation. It is, however, a recipe for tastiness. I got it from my sister-in-law, Amy, a few years ago and it has never let me down. It is a classic midwest casserole. It's real name is Pierogi casserole--however, it has become affectionately known as Heart Attack in a Pan.



I am writing it because it made it's seasonal debut today. Every winter for parent teacher conferences the staff has a potluck. This recipe is asked for by my staff by name: Heart Attack in a Pan. So, I made it today, and put in the fridge so I only have to bake it tomorrow.



I must admit, I'm pretty excited to have it tomorrow! I mean, almost four sticks of butter---how could you go wrong?

Don't think calories. Isn't this why you run?? Just enjoy it. You can starve yourself later. In the mean time, let the butter, mashed potatoes and Velveeta slide down your throat and coat your stomach. You're in for a real treat!



Pierogi Casserole
aka Heart Attack in a Pan



1 lb. package of Velveeta
8 oz. package of bowtie pasta (farfalle) (or do as I do and just use the whole box)
1 medium white onion chopped
3 sticks of butter
4 cups of instant mashed potatoes


Sautee onions in butter until the onions are soft and clear.
Boil pasta, drain and rinse.
Make mashed potatoes.
Slice cheese.

Layer in 9x13 pan, in this order:
½ butter and onion, ½ pasta, all potatoes, all Velveeta in slices, ½ pasta, ½ butter.

Cover with foil and bake for one hour at 350 degrees.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog